Connect with us

News

Restaurant Owner Who Refused to Show NFL Games Gets Hit With Amazing News

Just days ago, a Marine veteran and the owner of a sports restaurant pulled the plug on the NFL to protest the “disrespect” of professional football players during the national anthem.

When Bill DeFries met with his leadership team to discuss cutting off the NFL from his Beef O’Brady’s restaurant TVs, he didn’t know what the move would mean.

The franchise owner told Fox Business that he knew one thing, however — he’d had enough:

“It started a while ago, but it really was the effect of seeing what the players did [two Sundays ago].

I have to tell you as a veteran of the United States Marine Corps, I served to defend our country’s Constitution and free speech, and while I defend the right of every American to express their views and voice this freely, the actions demonstrated by the NFL players during the country’s national anthem — it was offensive and disrespectful to me as a proud veteran and all my fellow veterans.”

DeFries told Fox Business that he believed the restaurant would take a financial hit:

“We are a family restaurant, and we have been for 13 years. And our customers are from the community. They come in here to relax and enjoy a meal and be entertained, in particular by the NFL on Sundays. But we also serve a lot of local military families and veterans, many of whom share my view on the NFL players’ actions during the national anthem.

Before making this decision, I met with the leadership team to ensure we were all aligned on the issue, and we were. We knew that our sales would be negatively impacted.”

The impact to his bottom line was felt immediately.

DeFries told Fox News that when he called to get a refund on his DirecTV NFL package, he was told he’d have to eat the $6,000 fee. DirecTV told him it was giving refunds only to residential customers and not business accounts. He said that his restaurant has formally requested a refund.

But then something happened.

DeFries told the Dayton Daily News that people have been coming. In droves:

“Every day our sales have been up between 200 and 300 percent. People we have never seen before are driving hours to support us and the employees. We have received heart-warming and supportive phone calls, emails and direct messages from people all over the United States thanking us.”

Not only are supporters walking into his restaurant and spending money, but they’re giving the veteran attaboys on social media:

DeFries said, “It turns out the enormous amount of pride and reverence that we have for the national anthem and everything that it means to us as a free people … is shared by the vast majority of Americans.”

And he said he’s “seeing it firsthand.”

Watch the video below.

20 Comments

20 Comments

1. Anon

October 5, 2017 at 12:13 pm

Great Story

2. JOSEPH A LANZA

October 5, 2017 at 12:57 pm

I agree with you and all places like yours should do the same. next get rid of the gutless comm. who runs the NFL

3. Amy M Cleveland

October 5, 2017 at 1:31 pm

Way to go! I support your endeavor! A proud US NAVY veteran, here!

4. VAL

October 5, 2017 at 3:52 pm

GOOD FOR BEEF ‘O BRADY’S. ABOUT TIME WE STAND FOR SOMETHING

5. barry sucktero

October 5, 2017 at 4:00 pm

eventually the thugs and felons of the NFL will eat CROW

6. Pingback: Marine bans NFL coverage in restaurant; patrons’ response is swift and strong - Politically Off Target

7. Larry Houtchens

October 6, 2017 at 1:16 am

As a Vietnam Veteran all I can say is….Semper Fi, Marine! Job well done. Marine Sgt. Larry Houtchens, Mike Company/H&S Company, 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines, 1st Marine Division, FMF.

8. jr

October 6, 2017 at 6:02 pm

Now its time to boycot directv

9. Mark A. Dofflemyer

October 6, 2017 at 7:04 pm

Thank you Bill Defries for your Service Dedication and Patriotism!

10. Edward

October 6, 2017 at 7:54 pm

If you don,t respect our flag then get out of our Country.

11. Edward

October 6, 2017 at 8:05 pm

If they can,t stand then they should turn their uniforms in.

12. Dee

October 8, 2017 at 5:02 pm

That’s what being part of the racist crowd will do for you. Same way they rally around 45. Doesn’t make you or them right.

13. Dottie Bronson

October 9, 2017 at 2:17 am

I would most definitely eat at your restaurant if I lived near by thank you so much for doing this. I am a veteran an very much appreciate it! It is very sad to see how many people disrespect America today, I truly wish every single one who feels that way would have to go overseas and live in Iraq, Venezuela, Iran etc just see how good they really have it here!

Most people don’t have a clue about how great America really is even at it’s worse but if we do stick together and work (not expect handouts) I mean actually work together we can accomplish so much!

Plus now with trying to erase the past with taking history away is wrong you don’t learn when you erase what you’ve done wrong in the past! You will just do it agin if you can learn from the mistakes!

Again thx to Beef O’Brady’s restaurant for standing up for America’s values and respecting what this country stands for. I hope you get 500 {e382b5a672813c62b9829d147a3013d5e4ea1c2ddea46b992b7cb0064b09b826} more business each and every month from now on

14. Tony W.

October 10, 2017 at 5:47 pm

Most veterans served so that Americans could have their right to say their views. However Mr. DeFires apparently served so that no one was allowed to express a view Mr DeFries disagreed with. What apatriot.

15. Terrence Gilles

October 11, 2017 at 12:42 pm

GOD BLESS AMERICA, BOYCOTT the NFL and all its ADVERTISERS.

16. Jo Ann

October 11, 2017 at 12:46 pm

Good for this business owner. He is expressing his belief and standing up for his principals. I really think the NFL players should think this tru again, they have a lot more to loose than we the viewers do, There is always a lot of other things to watch on Sundays and Monday night!!

17. Barb

October 11, 2017 at 10:56 pm

You go Mr. Defries, these guys deserve nothing less. I not only STAND for our country and its anthem, I cry every time I hear it. I am so proud and happy to be allowed to live here, keep up the good work and thank you for your service.

18. ELLIOT PETERSON

October 12, 2017 at 1:34 am

Bill. I am proud of you. If I was anywhere near you, I’d come eat at your restaurant. Monica and I are both veterans and we are sick of these overpaid snowflakes. We are also boycotting the NFL. If they want to protest, do it on their own time.

19. Pingback: Sports Bar Gets Incredible News After Marine Vet Owner Bans NFL Games – Patriot Report

20. Pingback: Restaurant Owner Who Refused to Show NFL Games Gets Hit With Amazing News